Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Comptroller of Maryland
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Unclaimed Property FAQs

You have questions about your unclaimed property; we have answers! Please review the following questions as it pertains to Unclaimed Property. If you have a question that has not been answered below, feel to free to contact us.

1. What is Unclaimed Property?

Mostly, itís money.  Financial institutions, insurance companies and corporations must report bank accounts, contents of safe deposit boxes, wages, insurance benefits, security deposits, stock dividends and other funds to the Comptroller of Maryland if they remain unclaimed for three years or more. Unclaimed property does not include real estate, boats or cars.

2. Is there a fee for finding out if I have unclaimed funds in the Comptroller's records?

No. The Comptroller of Maryland does not charge a fee for searching its records or for helping you claim your money.

3. What happens to the property if it remains unclaimed?

Marylandís unclaimed property law is custodial, meaning that there is no time limit on claiming the money that is rightfully yours. You may claim the funds any time, and legitimate heirs may claim the funds after the original ownerís death.

4. What happens to the contents of safe deposit boxes?

The contents of your safe deposit box are turned over to the Comptroller of Maryland after three years, and all items of monetary value will be sold at auction. The proceeds from the sale will be credited to an account in your name, and will be paid when you or your heirs submit a valid claim.

5. Do other states have unclaimed property records that I can check?

Yes. There is an unclaimed property office in each state and in the District of Columbia. Our unclaimed property office can provide you with the addresses and phone numbers of unclaimed property offices in other states.

6. How can I find out if some of this money belongs to me?

The quick and easy way is to check the unclaimed property search online any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You may also conduct a nationwide search by state using or

7. If I find unclaimed property in my name, how do I claim the money?

Download a claim form.  Send the completed claim form along with the supporting documents to the Unclaimed Property Unit, and the funds will be sent to you.

8. Will I need documents besides the claim form?

Yes. You will need documents proving your identity and connection with the referenced account.  If you are an heir, or are making a claim in a representative capacity, you will need appropriate documentation of your status or authority.

9. How does the claim process work?

If you are claiming property in the possession of the state, you must complete and sign this claim form and forward it, together with the supporting documentation to the Unclaimed Property Section. Claims typically take 6-8 weeks to process once they are received. Processing times will very, please be patient. 

All claimants must establish 

  • their personal identity and 
  • entitlement to the property sought.
  1. You must submit two forms of personal identification, one of which MUST show your social security number. If the claim is being filed by a party acting as a guardian, executor, administrator or in some other representative capacity, the appropriate documentation demonstrating entitlement to make the claim in that capacity must also been closed.
  2. Entitlement to the property sought must be established by any of the following types of documentation:
    a) BANK ACCOUNT - A passbook, bank statement, or cancelled check.
    b) DIVIDEND - Proof of affiliation with company.
    c) STOCK - The original stock certificate.
    d) INSURANCE PROCEEDS - Insurance policy or statement.
    e) UNCASHED INSTRUMENTS - Original certified check, money order, travelers check or other negotiable instrument.
    f) UNCASHED WAGES - Proof of employment.

In the absence of any of the foregoing evidence and for claims of other types of property, you should submit the best evidence of ownership available. If an account was originally opened jointly with the names connected by "and" (John and Mary Doe), both parties must make claim for the funds. If one of the two parties is deceased, attach a copy of the appropriate death certificate.

We also advertise the names of the most recently reported accounts once a year in newspapers all over Maryland, or you may write or call the Unclaimed Property office at 410-767-1700.


Links for Unclaimed Property FAQs
Unclaimed Property
General Information
Unclaimed Property FAQs
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage